While fitness is definitely on the rise and more people are doing some form of exercise every week, most adults still find it difficult to fit in with strength and aerobic exercise. When most people decide it's time to practice some healthier habits, walking just to lose weight and improve their health may not seem like enough.
But the truth is that walking is the oldest form of human physical activity there is, and the benefits of walking are great. Long before the days of CrossFit, running marathons voluntarily or working in gyms, people walked. And they walked a lot. Walking is a good place to start if you are new to exercise or simply lack the motivation to be more active.
Even if you're an experienced athlete and really prefer to work up a sweat by doing a blast workout, HIIT workout or a demanding sport, walking can still be a great form of activity that complements these tougher workouts. So.... let's see how to do it and what the benefits are.
How Long Must You Walk To Lose Weight?Considering that walking is very comfortable, does not wear down joints but still burns calories, activates even the metabolism, and can help prevent dozens of different diseases, there is really no downside to walking anymore.
Benefits of walking
- It makes people feel younger.
- Helps in the fight against weight gain
- Walking at least 30 minutes a day leads to a smaller waist
- Helps prevent heart disease, arthritis, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, among others.
- It helps the elderly to prevent the diseases of aging such as dementia, Alzheimer's and cognitive impairment.
- It gives a lot more energy so you can say goodbye to fatigue.
- It is an exercise that does not require additional elements and is free of charge.
Walking to lose weightWalking at a fast and energetic pace requires a good amount of body energy and is an easy exercise to do every day. You may not burn as many calories as you would like, but if you do it properly (with your forehead up, looking straight ahead, swinging your arms, straight spine and squeezing your buttocks), you can burn up to a pound a week.
For this you must take some considerations into account:
- Walk 1.6 kilometers = 2000 steps and you will burn 100 calories
- If you burn 3500 calories = lose half a kilogram
- Losing half a kilo in a week = burning 500 calories a day
- To lose half a kilo a week = 10 thousand steps a day
How can you do that?I'll give you a little advice - from the experts - so that you can take a proper walk, and so that you can get your body used to increasing the steps a day.
The first things you need to do to adapt to walking
- Download an app to your mobile phone that counts the steps you take. There are some who already have this application integrated.
- Don't take the elevator and the escalators. It's always best to go up and down the stairs.
- If you must wear high shoes at work, wear tennis shoes to get from work to home and from home to work and change at the office.
- Use as little public transport as possible or your own car or motorbike, try to walk.
- Walk to do all your errands.
- If you have to take your own vehicle, park it as far away as possible from where you are going to walk.
What to do while walking for exercise
- Program your phone or music device to your liking and comfortable headphones
- Look for different walking scenarios. Through the park, the streets of your neighborhood.... the place you like the most
- Try to find someone to keep you from going out alone.
- You can buy a treadmill for rainy days and do it at home in front of the TV.
- Buy the right tennis shoes, as well as the right clothes. Ask the sporting goods store what's appropriate.
- You must hydrate yourself with water.
RELATED: Great Running Workout