These are the advantages and disadvantages of the grapefruit diet so that you can value it yourself.
ADVANTAGE OF GRAPEFRUIT DIET
The biggest pros of the grapefruit diet are its immediate results . Many people have achieved a rapid weight loss, something very useful when you want to be the best possible for a party or event and time is short.
There is no doubt that the grapefruit fruit is healthy. Vitamin C, present in large quantities in this fruit, is a great protection for the immune system . This citrus fruit has very low caloric load and large amount of water, which is very effective for slimming diets.
The grapefruit is a fruit that provides a feeling of fullness, so you reduce your appetite which helps you to make the diet without feeling uncontrollable hunger.
Additionally, it can be very useful to initiate the necessary changes of bad eating habits. Then, you can adopt another more appropriate program and maintain weight loss, once the 12 days of the grapefruit diet are finished .
It goes without saying that by combining a low-calorie diet with highly nutritious foods such as grapefruit, you get a smart and healthy alternative to lose weight and improve overall health.
DISADVANTAGES OF GRAPEFRUIT DIET
On the other hand, claims that grapefruit enzymes burn fat are not supported by any scientific research. Taking into account that the diet of the grapefruit is very low in calories, causes a rapid weight loss regardless of whether they eat grapefruit or not.
On the other hand, the loss of 5 kilos in 12 days is unrealistic and it is very likely that most of the weight lost is liquids and muscle mass, a common feature in all fast diets.
Therefore, although grapefruit juice can be part of a balanced diet, it can interfere with some medications such as statins , used to lower cholesterol. Other medications for blood pressure, some antihistamines and anti-anxiety drugs may be affected by this diet.
In view of the above, we must conclude that the grapefruit diet is contraindicated in people with pathologies and that they follow specific medical treatments.
HOW TO SUCCEED WITH THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET
Like many other diets, there are general rules that you must follow if you want to be successful and achieve the promised weight loss. These rules are based on healthy habits, the practice of regular exercise and also:
- Drink plenty of water : As in almost every diet, you should drink plenty of water, so it has to complement the menu by eating at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Eating well : No need to go hungry because the menu on the grapefruit diet is a minimum amount of food. The best thing is that you can double your intake of meat and vegetables.
- Combine food : The combination of foods plays a fundamental role in the diet of grapefruit. For example, a meal can combine bacon with salad to burn fat.
- Eat grapefruit juice: You need to take the right amount to help with the process of burning gauze.
- Take little caffeine: You should watch your caffeine intake and not drink more than one cup a day. An excessive intake of coffee can unbalance insulin levels and affect or interrupt the fat burning process.
- Use of oil : While it is true that it has many restrictions, remember that you can use oil and butter along with salads.
THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET: LIST OF ALLOWED AND PROHIBITED FOODS
If you consider that this diet adapts to your circumstances, we leave you a list of the foods that you can afford when eating the grapefruit diet. Also, you will see the foods that you should avoid during the 12 days of the diet:
- Grapefruit as the only fruit.
- Water, infusions and coffee without sugar.
- Pork, chicken, veal and fish.
- Bacon and ham.
- Fresh cheese, cured cheese, milk, cottage cheese and yogurt
- Vegetables such as green beans, spinach, onions, radishes, cucumbers, peppers, Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- Condiments and spices, including herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar, English lemon sauce, soy sauce, tomato sauce and mustard.
FOOD NOT ALLOWED
- Desserts processed like donuts, cookies and cakes.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Duck meat.
- Starches, such as potatoes, corn and cassava.
- Vegetables such as celery, sweet potatoes, peas and corn.
- Mayonnaise dressings.
- Cereals, bread, flour and pasta.
- All other fruits.
- Peanut butter and margarine with salt.
WEEKLY MENU OF GRAPEFRUIT DIET
Through this menu, you can realize that this diet is not only eat grapefruit, but includes a variety of foods.
- Breakfast : Breakfast should include a cup of coffee or tea, 2 eggs or 2 slices of bacon and half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Lunch : Chicken, fish or lean beef, green salad and a cup of coffee or tea.
- Dinner : Roasted fish, salad, and a grapefruit or 50 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Breakfast : A cup of coffee or tea, 2 eggs or 2 slices of bacon and half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Lunch : Fruit salad and a cup of coffee.
- Dinner : Lean meat, cooked vegetables and a grapefruit or 50 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Breakfast : Coffee or tea, 2 eggs or 2 slices of bacon and half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Lunch : Tuna salad and a grapefruit or 50 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Dinner : Beef or pork chops, salad and coffee.
- Breakfast : Coffee or tea, half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice, 2 eggs or 2 slices of bacon.
- Lunch : 2 eggs, a piece of cottage cheese, pumpkin, and a cup of coffee or tea. Half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Dinner : Veal or grilled chicken, spinach, coffee or tea and half a grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Breakfast : Coffee or tea, half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice, and 2 eggs or 2 slices of bacon.
- Lunch : Cured cheese and spinach and half grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Dinner : Roasted fish or chicken, cooked vegetables and coffee or tea and half a grapefruit or 25 ml of grapefruit juice.
- Breakfast : ½ grapefruit accompanied by coffee or tea without sugar.
- Lunch : Half grapefruit with 2 boiled eggs and cucumber and tomato salad seasoned with lemon.
- Dinner : Half grapefruit with salad of lettuce seasoned with apple vinegar and 150 gr of turkey breast or grilled chicken.
- Breakfast : Coffee with semi-skimmed milk, a natural juice of orange or grapefruit and half a toast of bread with cheese from burgos and two slices of ham. Lunch: Quinoa sautéed with vegetables and a grilled turkey steak. An apple and grapefruit juice.
- Dinner : Grilled fish with garnish vegetables, and a skimmed yogurt.
Finally, keep in mind that the grapefruit diet menu is only a suggestion and you can have your own, as long as you respect the rules and the combination of foods.