1. Yam Pancakes
- 2 large free-range, organic eggs
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 5 tbsp yam pure (steam yam, then blend)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- splenda or stevia to taste
- ⅔ cup apple, diced
- ⅔ tsp virgin coconut oil
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except apple and coconut oil. Blend until mixture becomes a smooth batter.
- Add coconut oil to a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Fold apple chunks into the batter and pour into the pan, making two pancakes. Let the pancakes cook 2–3 minutes, then flip.
- Serve hot and top with sugar-free syrup.
Makes 2 servings
• 578 calories • 24 g protein
• 28 g carbs • 44 g fat
RELATED: Homemade Low Carb Pancakes Recipe
2. Bacon & Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 3 whole large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Hot sauce, optional
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate in a single layer, and cover with a sheet of paper towel. Microwave on high 3 minutes. Rotate plate a half turn and cook 1 minute longer, or until the edges have browned and turned crispy. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a microwave-safe bowl. Add whole eggs, egg whites, and milk to bowl and lightly beat. Stir in scallion. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 45 seconds.
- Gently stir eggs, and continue to cook in 45-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until set.
- Stir in cheese, black pepper, and a few squirts of hot sauce. Let stand until cheese has melted.
- Divide eggs on four slices of English muffin and top each with bacon, tomato, and remaining muffin slices.
Makes 2 servings
• 416 calories • 33 g protein
• 48 g carbs • 12 g fat
3. Classic Frittata
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup marinated artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bell peppers 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Melt butter in frying pan, then add in ham, spinach, artichoke hearts, and cheese.
- Add in eggs, stir, cover, and cook on medium heat until firm (8 to 10 minutes), then divide into thirds.
- In a large frying pan, sauté ground beef, break it up into small pieces, and cook until all the pink is gone.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions and bell peppers in olive oil for 10 minutes, then add that to the cooked ground beef.
- Add salsa to the pan, as well as salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Turn down heat and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread on top of divided eggs.
Makes 3 servings
• 431 calories • 36 g protein
• 18 g carbs • 24.5 g fat
4. Perfect Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- ½ red or green bell pepper, sliced and seeded
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup no-salt-added, low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup spinach (raw or cooked)
- 1 7-inch whole-wheat pita
- ½ cup shredded
- reduced-fat cheese
- Salt and fresh ground
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp salsa
- Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- Place peppers in the skillet and saute lightly.
- While they cook, beat eggs in a small bowl with a fork.
- Add eggs to pan and scramble.
When eggs are nearly cooked, add cottage cheese and continue cooking until done.
- Layer bacon, egg mixture, and spinach inside pita pocket. Top with cheese, salt, pepper, and salsa to taste.
Makes 1 serving
• 460 calories • 42 g protein
• 25 g carbs • 22 g fat
5. Oatmeal Nut Cereal Bowl
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- Combine oats, yogurt, and honey in a bowl and stir to blend.
- Top with almonds, blueberries, and strawberries.
Makes 1 serving
• 703 calories • 38 g protein
• 75 g carbs • 31 g fat
RELATED: Top 6 Weight Loss Friendly Snacks